Have you started your 2022 planning? Last month I shared a simple tool to reflect on the past year and begin thinking about what strengths you can carry forward into the coming months. The next step in planning the best leadership year ever is to set your vision for 2022.
Research shows that purpose drives performance. This is true not just for individual leaders, but for the organisations they work in. A strong sense of purpose acts as a compass for decision making, guiding the actions of leaders and their followers particularly during difficult times.
A vision is your desired future. It engages your heart and mind towards living your purpose. This is the essence of mindful leadership – you are able to plan for your desired future, growing into the best leader you can be as you reach your goals and achieve exceptional outcomes.
Your purpose is your why. Your vision is your aspiration.
Here’s a quick exercise to help you design your vision for 2022 and meaningful goals to help you achieve it.
In a quiet place, take a notebook and pen, and write down your responses to these questions:
- What am I thinking, feeling and sensing right now? Be as honest and vulnerable with yourself as possible.
- What is my leadership purpose? If you need a hand putting this into words, read my 4 step guide on discovering your purpose here.
- What is my vision for the best possible leadership year in 2022? Write (or draw) this vision in as much detail as possible
- What would it take for me to achieve this vision? What would I need to be thinking, doing and feeling?
- How can I make this happen?
By starting 2022 with a clear leadership purpose and vision, you can strategically plan for the year and make decisions that grow your leadership, engage your team, and deliver the best results in your leadership journey yet. You can use these authentic tools throughout the year to guide all your leadership decisions, especially in times of difficulty.
Need help building your leadership vision? Contact me for a free 15 minute check in to ensure you’re headed in the right direction.